Thursday, August 9, 2018

Summer Break Has Ended

I have not written on my blog since the week of July 4th. This means this post will be long and full of pictures. I was planning to make a post, but then July 20th happened.

What happened on July 20th? I woke up that morning with really bad pain in my abdomen on the right side. My husband drove me to the emergency room which is 25 minutes from where we live. The car ride was rough. I was nauseous and in so much pain it hurt to walk. After having a CT scan, the doctor came in to my room in the ER and said that I needed my appendix out. I had a feeling that was going to be the diagnosis, but at the same time I was hoping that wouldn't be the diagnosis. I really did not want to go through a surgery, especially since our kids had 2 weeks left of their summer break. Alas, I had to have surgery. My surgery happened about 2 p.m. on July 20th. I was in the hospital until July 24th. My wonderful husband took care of our kids while I was in the hospital and his work was flexible with him. I am so thankful for an amazing husband. The day I got home and after seeing my bandages on my stomach, he said it looked like someone lost a game of Operation (an old game by Milton Bradley). That statement definitely gave me a laugh when I needed it most.

Wasn't happy about having my appendix out!
 It was so hard being in the hospital and away from my family. The hardest part was recovering at home. I could not do all of the activities I had planned to do during the last two weeks that our kids were home for summer break. We did make the best of my recovery though. We read a lot of books, watched a lot of new (at least new to our kids) movies, we colored/made pictures, and we put together puzzles. Even though we couldn't go outside to swim or walk to the park, we still were able to enjoy what was left of their summer break. Before my surgery, our older two boys went to VBS (Vacation Bible School) at our church, so I am thankful they were able to do that before my surgery.

Our older two before VBS.
Working on puzzles during my recovery. My oldest is great at puzzles!

We also worked on some crafts where the kids also learned during my recovery.
Our third gave me lots of snuggles during my recovery.
Our fourth loved to bring me all of the books during my recovery. He loved playing with blocks as something else that was indoors that we could do. 
Our 5th (only girl), was happy as my recovery continued, because I kept getting better everyday.
I did have some restrictions after my surgery. I couldn't lift anything over 10lbs. so I had to have some help due to the fact that my husband still had to work. I am friends with our next door neighbor and she was able to come help do the lifting of our kids that I could not do. Our church was a big blessing during my recovery. People from our church organized meals to be brought so I didn't have to cook or try to cook. We were blessed by the help from our neighbor and church. The three things that definitely got me through my recovery were faith, hope, love (the name of my blog).
I enjoyed every kind word that was said to me as people brought meals every night. It definitely played a role in my healing from surgery.
God definitely had a plan for my recovery and He made sure I had all the help I needed.

That brings us to today. Our older two boys went back to school today. One of them is in second grade and the other started Kindergarten. It was quieter around here, but I missed them today. It was sad to see summer end.

Celebrated the last week of summer with a special snack: lollipops!
Our second reading up on what to expect for Kindergarten. Great book by the way!
Our oldest reading to our second about Kindergarten. Last night of summer break!
Aside from the two weeks where I was recovering from surgery, our kids had a great summer. Before having surgery, we went to our local park twice a week and we used our kiddie pool outside.

The park:
 

 The pool:

 As sad as I am to see the summer end, I also am just as excited for our kids and can't wait to see the new things that will learn and how they will succeed. I pray they have a great school year.

Class of 2029 and Class of 2031!
They were excited to head back to school!
As for me, tomorrow will be three weeks since my surgery. I still get a little sore, but it is minimal compared to when I was a week out from surgery, and even compared to when I was two weeks out. 

God restored my health and healed me from my surgery.
I took this selfie last Thursday, it was the first day that I had felt normal.
My wonderful husband!
So readers, how was your summer break? Has school started back where you live? Who has had their appendix out? If you are still on summer break, I hope you are soaking it up! Keep up the faith, hope, and love!

28 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh what a summer you had, I am glad you got to have some good times, between the painful ones! Good luck for all the adventures to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed so hard at your question. Who has had their appendix out? I'm glad that you're okay now. I must say that you're blessed to have supportive family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer is going way to fast! I hope your recovery is going smooth, I have not had my appendix out and I hope I never have to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it sounds like you've had a crazy time! So glad the surgery was successful and that you're recovering. Looks like your kiddos had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry you woke up in pain and to such suffering. I'm happy that your surgery went well, and you are doing great in recovery. I know your kiddos were so excited to have mommy back and well. I can imagine you all bandaged up resembling the childhood game of Operation, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Jessica, this post was SO SO beautiful! God definitely causes everything to work together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose for them. That Romans 8 verse is so perfect for this time in your life!

    I am so happy you are no longer in pain and that you got those extra precious cuddling memories with your darling kiddos! I still have my appendix, but I did have to recover from a c-section with Kate so I can definitely imagine how trying your recovery must've been! Thank goodness for friends with kind giving hearts helping out when you needed the most!!! And your husband is just a KEEPER!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to hear that you had to get surgery to have your appendix removed! My oldest scared me because of severe pain one evening and I thought it was his appendix -- it was on the wrong side of the body LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is always tough for us moms to be sick. We do so much but it is good that you had all the help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also had an unexpected surgery this summer. It sucks. Hope that things go better in the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you're much better now. Surgery sucks, that's for sure. Enjoy the rest of summer with your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is really hard for a mother to get sick because kids needs more attention for us mother all the time and it so sad that in time of sickness you can't give your whole self to them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just had surgery couple of weeks ago and it is not fun by any means. I am glad everything is turning out good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh am sorry to hear that. I hope you are feeling better now. Things like this always happen in most inconvenient time

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thant's an interesting read. It's easy on eyes and pics are also taking the story forward.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what a summer! I can't imagine having to have an unexpected surgery! I don't know what I'd do, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so glad to read you are doing better now. Props to your husband for stepping in while you were recovering!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! That's quite a summer. I hope that you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sorry to know that you have an abdomen issue. I hope you will be okay;.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I must confess i love your story, sorry about your health.. I hope you are better now

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am praying for your speedy recovery. I can relate to how you feel being away from your kids. But you are a strong mom and and pretty soon you will be back to your usual self.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yikes! Sad to hear that you spent some summer days in the hospital but glad that you are recuperating well. You have a darling husband and adorable kids. Get well soon mommy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't have children but I can't believe how fast this summer is flying by. I know kids don't go back to school until September though.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow what an eventful summer! It's a bummer that you had to have emergency surgery like that, but I am glad you had a great support system in place to help you through afterwards!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. My goodness, I'm glad you got your appendix taken care of. My niece had to as well this summer. She had a lot of complications afterwards. I watched my grand daughter all summer.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can't believe summer break is over. Time flies, but the memories remain.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, it sounds like you've had a crazy and funny time! I'm sorry to know that you have an abdomen issue. I hope you will be okay

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great post ! Summer was hot, humid and rainy for us but God is good. We enjoyed all that we could and are still trying to enjoy our last bit of summer until September 4th when all go back to school.

    ReplyDelete
  28. P.S. The children and I have you and yours now added to our prayer list...although your summer was filled with ups and downs...I am glad that you are still here to continue on this glorious journey we call life.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my whole post and for commenting. It means so much to me. It would also mean a lot if you were to hit the follow button and subscribe to my blog which is to the right. Sharing is caring, so feel free to share my post. Hope you have a wonderful day!