Thursday, June 30, 2016

A Trip On Our Anniversary

If you have been following my blog for a while then you know that our second born son, Landon, has an ear condition called Microtia. This condition affects his right ear. He wears a BAHA since he is hard of hearing in his right ear. You can read more about it in a previous blog here: http://junewife627.blogspot.com/2013/10/our-second-trip-to-cincinnati-childrens.html

We went to Cincinnati on Monday (after a few reschedules due to illness, etc). We got a great report from his ENT, Dr. Choo. Landon is fine to see him once a year. We also saw the audiologist and sue to his BAHA being broken (Liam got a hold of it), she could only do a hearing test without the BAHA. The BAHA will be repaired and she will want to see him so she can do a hearing test with the BAHA. After that test, Landon is also good to go with seeing her once a year as well.

What about surgery? I have touched on the surgery discussion before and as far as surgery on the inside of the ear, we will not be doing that because it only has a 50/50 chance of working. Surgery for the outside of his ear, we are leaving that up to Landon when he is old enoug,  because that is more cosmetic. He can have a surgery for a BAHA implant so he won't have to always wear a BAHA headband. We are still three years from that. Landon has to be between 5-7 years old.

Landon has also come a long way with his speech. Part of his success for that came because of our early intervention program here in Kentucky for speech. Considering many risks that come for children with Microtia/Atresia, we are very blessed that Landon doesn't have as many risks. He really is our miracle ear boy. The best thing about Landon is that he has not noticed that there is anything different about him. He plays and acts like a normal three year old boy. 


Something that used to sit down in me was if I caused Landon to be born with an ear deformity. I've had people tell me that it could have been my fault. I've also had doctors tell me that it wasn't my fault and it is genetics. After our trip in 2015, I finally overcame the guilt that it was something I did or didn't do when I was pregnant with Landon. A verse that came up around the time that helped me overcome the guilt is this:

I didn't do anything. Rob didn't do anything. God made Landon in a special way so that one day God can use Landon. Landon being born with an ear deformity doesn't have a reason, but God will use it for good as he continues to grow up. Of course, we will have faith, hope, and love with whatever comes Landon's way.


We had a very successful trip and great reports. Monday was our (Rob and I) 7 year anniversary. We celebrated by spending the day going to appointments for our son. After 7 years, we didn't mind because we do life together every single day. Life definitely includes appointments. On Tuesday night, Rob did fix me a nice steak dinner and we had an at home date. Again, after 7 years, having a date at home is a lot of fun. We didn't have to wait on a table, we could relax and even be in comfy clothes, and we were still home with our kids. My husband did get me a very pretty necklace from Kay's and I absolutely love it! When I look at the necklace, it reminds me our love will continue to grow. I love the angel wings and that they remind me that we will continue to fly together and the wings help me to remember those who are flying above us that encouraged our love and marriage. One angel we have looking over us is his dad. His dad was our photographer for our wedding. Some people wanted him to be dad at the wedding, but I'm so happy he was dad and photographer. When I look at our wedding pictures, they are really are even more meaningful to me. I am so thankful for the memories he captured on our wedding day. I cannot believe it has been 7 years and here is to many more years with my wonderful husband and best friend. 








6 comments:

  1. I wish your son luck with his issues. I'm sure that God has a plan in his little life and that's why he made him special. He gets a special ear and the rest of us don't. My grand son had to go to a speech therapist for years. Happy Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful testimony you have - and how wonderful that your son is doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a great perspective about your son. He's such a sweet little boy! It sounds like you had a great anniversary. Love the necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sounds like you have a very special little guy. I think it's great that you take such great care of him. I agree, God made him special! Your necklace is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Landon is a special child for sure & the faith you have put on the Almighty will never go wasted. It is always a great feeling when you have got a wonderful husband and a best friend as well in him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire your faith and hope. I pray things continue to go well for you and your little one!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my whole post and for commenting. It means so much to me. It would also mean a lot if you were to hit the follow button and subscribe to my blog which is to the right. Sharing is caring, so feel free to share my post. Hope you have a wonderful day!