Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Showing Hospitality

Something I resolved to do this year is to show better hospitality to everyone in my life. I have been selfish lately and it is eating away at my attitude. This week, I started a Bible reading plan about showing hospitality. God is already working on me. 

Yesterday's devotion was from 1 Peter 4:9. This is a good reminder of what kind of attitude to have when you open up your home to others. It is for me. I worry too much about the mess and clean up. I need to focus on others and enjoy the time because I will not get the time back. "Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling."-1 Peter 4:9. 

God loves when his believers gather in fellowship and His plan is not for any host to worry about messes and dishes. We see that when Jesus tells Martha not to worry in Luke 10:38-42, 'As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him.She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said.But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!” “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things,but few things are needed—or indeed only one.Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”'

 I have been Martha way too much to people in my life, even my own family! That stops this year!

Today's devotion was about being generous to those that enter my home. I need to be generous when opening up my home. Another good reminder to think less of myself and more of others. "Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously." - 2 Corinthians 9:6. Making sure nobody goes without anything when they come over and offering whatever I have (not just food or drink but maybe a talent) to others. 

Readers and friends, hold me accountable to show hospitality to others. Caring and loving others is what Jesus wants us to do. He especially wants us to love others. Showing hospitality is one way to love others. 

Today, those who enter your home, show them hospitality. Offer them a glass of water. Offer them a snack. Show them a talent of yours.  Love them. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading my whole post and for commenting. It means so much to me. It would also mean a lot if you were to hit the follow button and subscribe to my blog which is to the right. Sharing is caring, so feel free to share my post. Hope you have a wonderful day!