Saturday, November 23, 2013

Comparing

I really want to write tonight but I can't seem to express my thoughts into words. So here goes some sort of writing. I spent my whole day today in my kitchen baking and cooking for a Thanksgiving meal tomorrow with friends. My kitchen can be a busy room  and it can be a quiet room. More often, it is a busy room. My mind and the way I think is much like my kitchen. My mind is busy racing with thoughts and then sometimes my mind is quiet (surprisingly). This month, the sermon series at my church (www.fccgrayson.org) is called The Comparison Trap. My mind tends to race comparing myself to others. I have caught myself so much lately, comparing myself to other mothers, other wives, other people in general. I have even caught myself comparing my kids to other kids. Comparing yourself really is a trap. It causes you to think thoughts you don't want to think and causes you to act in ways you never thought you would act. Think Wreck-It-Ralph (an awesome Disney movie). Ralph compares himself to Fix-It-Felix who has won medals and he wants to win medals instead of feeling like a loser. He messed things up within the arcade game world all because he compared himself and tried to make himself into something he wasn't. Today, I was reminded by my grandmother that I only need to worry about myself, not what other people do. She even reminded me that I am doing a great job at everything.
With that, going into the holiday season when things tend to get busy, I am going to quiet my mind. I am going to relax and focus on my family, my kids, and myself. I will not going to compare my family, my kids, or myself to others this holiday season (I think the holidays is when people do a lot of comparing). The holiday season is when people tend to show off how much money they have with the presents they buy.
Remember, God loves you just the way you are with what you have. He thinks you are unique. You don't need to compare yourself or your things. According to God, you already have it all. "For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ."-Galatians 1:10 "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."-Romans 12:2.
So, join me in the challenge to stop comparing yourself. Hold me accountable and I will hold you accountable.
When we stop comparing ourselves, I think we can live more freely and have better relationships with everyone around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading my whole post and for commenting. It means so much to me. It would also mean a lot if you were to hit the follow button and subscribe to my blog which is to the right. Sharing is caring, so feel free to share my post. Hope you have a wonderful day!