Saturday, December 5, 2015

Salt Dough Ornaments

Christmas time is the time to do a lot of crafts. You may be like me who loves to do crafts. You may be the opposite of me who hates crafts. Whether you love crafts or hate them, I found a great salt dough recipe for ornaments. Ornaments great keepsake items as well as great gifts when budgets are tight. This year, our budget is tight so I will be doing a lot of salt dough ornaments for friends and family.

The recipe I found via Pinterest is:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup water

Slowly mix the water with the flour and salt until a dough forms. Roll out on a floured surface and make the shapes you desire. Bake at 200 degrees for 2-4 hours or until they are hard. For thick ornaments it may take 4-6 hours. Just be to sure to keep an eye on them so they do not crack. If they are still a little soft let them sit for 24 hours.

Once they are cool and hardened you can paint them whatever color you choose.

This year instead of each of us buying a new ornament (it is tradition that everyone in the family buys a new ornament for the tree), we made a thumb print salt dough ornament. We could not afford for to buy new ornaments this year so we decided to make one that will be a great keepsake ornament for many years!

Here are pictures of the process. The first picture is right before they went into the oven. The second picture is the family ornament after it baked and was painted.






I think this  is a very easy craft even if you are not into crafting. Be sure to comment if you try this and show me what your ornaments look like!
Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading my whole post and for commenting. It means so much to me. It would also mean a lot if you were to hit the follow button and subscribe to my blog which is to the right. Sharing is caring, so feel free to share my post. Hope you have a wonderful day!