Thursday, November 13, 2014

Advice For My Boys

A photo popped up in my news feed on Facebook of a non clothed woman from the back. You could tell the photo was very photo shopped. You can probably pick up any magazine and see how the media photo shops women to make them look a certain way. Also while you are picking up any magazine you might see on the cover a way to look 10 years younger, a way to lose weight in 7 days, or 465 beauty tips. It is rare that you read in a magazine that true beauty comes from within and that beauty from within is the only beauty that matters. All of what the media portrays as beautiful prompted me to write this post.

I want to give my three sons some advice and stress some very important truths about beauty.

Logan, Landon, and Liam,
I pray that you will find a woman suitable for you. I currently pray for the woman that marries you because I hope she shares our faith and values. I pray that God is protecting her and that she is being taught what we teach you. I pray that the woman you will be with for life puts God first above all else.

"Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." -Proverbs 31:30

Here is my 2 cents on the kind of woman you should look for. Look for a woman who knows that true beauty comes from within. Look for a woman who is not caught up by her appearance or who believes the media that tells her she needs to look a certain way. Look for beauty within the heart of a woman, not on outward appearance. When you find the woman you will be with for life, her appearance will change as you age but her heart and who she is within will not change. Be sure to let the woman you will be with know that she is perfect in every way. 

"You are altogether beautiful, my love; there is no flaw in you." -Song of Solomon 4:7

As a woman I knew I wanted a man who valued inner beauty, not outward beauty. Your Dad met that criteria. He also helped me realize I spent too much time on my outward beauty and he helped me change so that I could see beauty is from within.

Another aspect of beauty is how a woman dresses. Please don't bring a half clothed girl to my door. If there is one thing I want you to learn from me, it is that dressing modestly can still be beautiful. Your Dad thinks I am beautiful and as you will see when you grow up, it is because I dress modestly. Dressing modestly shows that a woman knows true beauty is from within and isn't falling for the lies that the media tells her about how she should dress. 

"She is clothed in strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future." -Proverbs 31:25

Look for a woman who feels confident how she looks. When a woman is confident in how she looks, she is less likely to fall prey to what the media tells her. When she feels confident she will feel beautiful on the inside. Look for a woman who feels she is beautiful from the inside out and shows her inner beauty more than her outward beauty.

"So chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, forgiveness, and patience. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It is your basic all purpose garment. Never be without it." -Colossians 3:12 & 14

It is okay for a woman to want to wear make up, to exercise, to look nice, and to physically take care of herself. We are called to take care of our bodies since our bodies are a temple for the Holy Spirit. Since our bodies are temples we need to treat them as such and not get caught up in how the media says we should care of our bodies but we need to look at God's word and what He says we should do. 

"It is not fancy hair, gold jewelry, or fine clothes that should make you beautiful. No, your beauty should come from inside you- the beauty of a gentle spirit. That beauty will never disappear. And it is worth very much to God." - 1 Peter 3:3-4

I know many will disagree with what I want to teach you but there is One who won't. God looks at the heart and we should too. God doesn't look at our outward appearances. I pray that any woman who wants to date and marry you will also look at your heart and not your outward appearance. The media has lies about how men should look and dress. Please don't believe them. Your Dad doesn't believe them and neither should you. 

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggles is not against flesh and blood, but against the rules, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." -Ephesians 6:10-12

"Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and shaving put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having on the readiness given by the gospel of peace." -Ephesians 6:14-15.

Look for a woman who knows that she ultimately belongs to God and who will listen and follow Him.

"You shall be a crown of beauty in the hand of the Lord." -Isaiah 62:3














No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading my whole post and for commenting. It means so much to me. It would also mean a lot if you were to hit the follow button and subscribe to my blog which is to the right. Sharing is caring, so feel free to share my post. Hope you have a wonderful day!